SVC (Static Var Compensator) is an advanced capacitor bank using Thyristor for providing fast-acting reactive po-wer compensation on high-voltage electricity transmission networks.
SVC is an automated impedance matching device, design-ed to bring the system closer to unity power factor.
For example, reactive load of power system is capacitive(leading), the SVC will use reactors to consume VARs from the system, lowering the system voltage. However under inductive(lagging) conditions, the capacitor banks are automatically switched in, thus providing a higher system voltage.
Therefore, SVC is mainly installed near high and rapidly varying loads, such as arc furnaces, chemical plants where need to smooth flicker voltage.
- Near-instantaneous response to changes in the system voltage
- Maximize power compensation
- Remove Harmonic and reduce distortion of voltage through filter capacitors connected in parallel
- Keep three phased load balance
- Make smooth flicker voltage
- Maximize user's economic benefits